Snapshot: In the wilderness of educational innovation and experimentation, Mike Schmoker speaks with a clear voice. Forget about the latest fads and instructional theories and focus on the 3 essential elements of quality education: A coherent curriculum, sound lesson plans and more purposeful reading and writing (authentic literacy) in every discipline.
In this webinar, Mike provides superintendents, principals, curriculum directors and other educators with a clear roadmap for making sure the foundational elements of good schooling are solidly in place. One of his goals is to convince you that every teacher, no matter their subject, should be a committed literacy teacher.
Mike firmly believes this “less is more” philosophy makes it possible for students to learn content at a deeper level, develop greater critical thinking skills, and discover more clearly how content-area concepts affect their lives and the world around them. It also ensures that the quality of a student’s’ education doesn’t vary wildly with the teacher that student happens to get. A great champion of the skillful and focused use of data, Mike will show you how to use simple kinds of data to guide you in entrenching the 3 foundational elements in your school.
- Why it’s important to reduce and clarify standards
- How to create user-friendly documents that ensure curriculum coherence
- How to clarify, simplify and integrate authentic literacy instruction into every subject area
- Learn to focus on the most essential elements of soundly structured lessons
- Ensure consistent implementation of lessons