You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. Plato
Put away the worksheets, vocabulary lists and spelling tests. Your students are about to discover how fun and fascinating word study can be.
Proficiency in phonics (word decoding) and vocabulary (word meaning) are essential for success in reading. Yet, too often, schools drill students on important word skills with the result that many come to dread the study of words and, by extension, to dislike and avoid reading.
Are you ready for some fresh ideas on how to get your students excited about words?
Join Timothy Rasinski, co-author of the book Essential Strategies for Word Study, for an engaging and insightful 2-hour webinar that will explore practical, effective and playful approaches to word study that improve your students’ ability to decode, spell, and understand words.
Tim will model lots of word games and word-study exercises and share plenty of word-study resources. This is a special opportunity to kick-start your word-study instruction skills with a leading expert and lexophile!
- Word games that make word study fun (Making Words, Making and Writing Words, Word Ladders, and Wordo)
- Word patterns that teach connections among words–word families, rhymes, words sharing Latin and Greek roots
- Learn how to introduce students to sets of words that are thematically and meaningfully related and that they commonly encounter in their own reading
- Vocabulary Ladders as an alternative to using the Thesaurus
- How to help your students understand and appreciate figurative language such as idioms and other expressions