Snapshot: Too many students are good decoders, but don’t really understand what they read. They don’t realize that reading is not a passive activity. It is all about actively making meaning with strategies that anyone can learn to become a more proficient reader.
Susan Zimmermann, coauthor of education bestsellers 7 Keys to Comprehension and Mosaic of Thought, provides you with an invaluable framework that you can use to explicitly teach strategic reading comprehension skills to your students.
Susan describes the 7 keys to comprehension, the steps that proficient readers use in constructing a deep and sound understanding of the text they read:
- Using background knowledge (schema)
- Creating mental images
- Determining importance
- Monitoring for meaning
Other Webinar Topics:
- The visible and invisible sides of reading
- Instructions on how to introduce each strategy with students
- How to use “think-alouds” in your readers’ workshop
- What language to use in describing each strategy
- Suggestions for how parents can best support their children’s reading at home